This "Virtual Folder" provides a unified access mechanism to files stored in a variety of locations including the local file system, and B2DROP and other cloud storage facilities.
This is part of a Virtual Research Environment for structural biology: the application level services specific to uses cases in structural biology.
This is developed by the West-Life H2020 project, which is running from 2015 to 2018. It provides application level services usable for structural biology use cases and follows the structural biology data lifecycle. Data management work package WP6 build on existing infrastructure for storing and accessing data to create a "Virtual Folder".
Recommended configuration for private deployment of virtual machine:
- Minimal: 1 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 50GB disk space.
- Recommended: 4 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 100 GB disk space
- Desktop, Server OS: Windows (tested on Windows 7, Windows 2012), Linux (tested on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)
- Desktop, Server Software: VirtualBox 5.1.6+, Vagrant 1.8.6+
Virtual Folder can be installed:
- from source codes
- from binaries at cernvm-fs
- from cloud template, contextualized to binaries at cernvm-fs
Brief installation from sources:
git clone https://github.com/h2020-westlife-eu/west-life-wp6 cd west-life-wp6 vagrant up
The new virtual machine can be accessed via web browser
Virtual folder provides WEBDAV API at
Inside VM, the files of the current working directory of host are mounted into
and the repositories of virtual folder are accessible at
For further installation options follow: Installation guide.
The functionality of the Virtual Folder can be integrated into other portal or web application. The recommended method is to link the existing component using cross-document messaging mechanism - e.g. for picking a file from Virtual Folder by using the File Picker component.
Follow Integration guide for further details.
In order to test, contribute to source codes and prepare virtual machine environment with source codes, follow Development installation
- 23/06/2017 - added support for source code installation/binary installation
- 01/05/2017 - Added Dataset demo integrates some web PDB components to visualize features of PDB and UniProt entries
- 01/04/2017 - Added Upload Dir Picker component and updated integration guide
- 07/03/2017 - public deployment integrated with SSO authentication ARIA at www.structuralbiology.eu
- 25/11/2016 - Updated vagrant boxes to use uCernVM 2.7.7 bootloader, updated OVA images in https://appdb.egi.eu/store/vappliance/d6.1.virtualfoldervm/vaversion/latest and vagrant boxes, do "vagrant box update", bug fixes, consolidated initial web page and design, fixed/added background services
- 26/10/2016 - moved VagrantFile to new repository https://github.com/h2020-westlife-eu/wp6-vm, updated base box with uCernVM2.7.4 bootloader for CernVM 4 fixes security bug 'dirty COW' and aufs bug in kernel, https://atlas.hashicorp.com/westlife-eu,
- tested on Windows 7 64 bit, vagrant 1.8.6 + VirtualBox 5.1.6, vagrant 1.8.1, 1.8.4 + VirtualBox 5.0.26, note vagrant < 1.8.6 requires VirtualBox 5.0.x, doesn't require VirtualBox extension pack, download from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_0
- tested on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, default vagrant 1.4.3 needs to be updated to 1.8.6), default VirtualBox 4.3.36 works